Monday, May 2, 2011

Runner's Guilt!

I've been meaning to post this since the beginning of this blog, but now that the actual running aspect of the training is winding down, it is time!

Now I'm going to ask you to really stretch here, and remember back. Waay back, to the good old days of 2008. Obama was "Yes We Can"ing all over the country, Tina Fey was playing Sarah Palin, Hollywood ended their 100-day writers strike, Sex and the City premiered a movie (which I saw the first 30 min of the second one yesterday....yeesh. terrible. just terrible.), and Madona turned 50. It was a good year for most, and sandwiched in all these pop culture/political happenings was a new ad campaign. A NEW ad campaign from NEW Balance (clever?).

These came at a time when I was still in college, and my "workout" routine was going to the gym (that I was paying about $42/month) 3 times a month, on average. I had dabbled in running a little--which is to say I ran 2 miles every 5 or 6 days. The first time I saw this commercial, it shot me in my emotions like those SEALs shot Osama Bin Laden in the head (too much?). This overwhemling guilt came over me and then I realized: Runner's Guilt. Once you've been at a point in your life when you're in great shape (it doesn't have to be just running, any kind of athletic accomplishment really), any reminder of that lifestyle can shoot feelings if guilt through you and your sedentary lifestyle.

Without further ado, I give you: the most successful ad campaign to provoke emotion from me:







Snap.

No comments:

Post a Comment