Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Real Long Distance

I stand before you—internet audience—a woman, NAY, a runner!

So since my 5 mile run last week, I actually didn't end up running until my long run on Sunday. SO yes, I only ran 2 times last week, but HEY, I felt great, and I hit the distances I needed to. I did learn a valuable lesson, and I did encounter some...unpleasantness. Anyhoo, I'll just get right into it.

Sunday, 8 miles, sidewalks clearish, sunny
My christ was I worried about this run. Up to date (well, in about 2 years) the longest run I've done is 6 miles, and although it's a good amount of distance (and I'm sure for all non-runners it's enough to make them throw up and promptly pass out just thinking about...or at least ask me to shut up because they're sick of hearing me talk about running...either way), it's not marathon-material, if ya know what I mean. So this was really my first step in the long distance direction since we all know how well my 7 mile run went last week in Indiana. -Let me just interject really quickly that a commercial on tv just came on called "Shedding for the Wedding" about engaged couples who are, let's say gifted in the weight category, and they compete to lose weight as a couple and the winners get their wedding paid for. I SMELL A NEW OBSESSION OF MINE- Well hallelujah Sunday came and I'll be damned, the sun was shining and the snow was glistening as it turned into spring-like water...water that clung to my shoes like I cling to tv for reality elimination shows. It was the first day I didn't have to wear my running tights under my running pants. My legs shed their inhibitions and hit the road. There was actually adequate space for shoulder for street running! It felt great to be on the road on such a nice day, but I was taken aback by an unfortunate scene. I saw 2 poor squirrels that had apparently come in close and oppressive contact with a car, because the only parts that weren't totally flattened into the concrete was half of a bushy tail sticking toward the shining sun on one squirrel, and the front teeth and 2 claws of the other. And you bet I let out an audible yelp when I saw those pancake brothers. So fast-forward to the end of my run. I felt so great at the end of my run, I even ran an extra 3 blocks! So this is there the great feeling ended. Once my heart rate came down, I spent the next hour on my living room floor exhausted, trying to stretch my legs as much as I could laying on my back (which I'm sure was a PATHETIC yet hilarious sight to see). After I could stand up again, I felt like I was going to puke. You know the feeling when you're out of shape or just try too much...like run 8 miles? Well I think this is where the training needs to take a turn and I actually have to start watching what I eat (and...god forbid, maybe what I drink). And by "watch what I eat" I mean I need to start eating more, and eating "fuel" type food, not just pizza with 3 extra toppings since that constitutes "more" food (and speaking of pizza, man have I been on a wanting-pizza-kick). What was nice is that John was actually in town this weekend, so I got to pull the sickly-pathetic schtick of "jooooohn, can you bring me a glass of water? I'd do it myself, but I'm afraid my doe-like legs may buckle."

Monday, 3 miles, sidewalks clearish, sunny (EVEN AT 5:30!!)
I thought about taking this day off since I had just run 8 miles the day before, but I thought "Screw it" and plus, it's not like I had anything else to do anyways. And MAN was it awesome running just 3 miles after running 8. I almost felt guilty later in the night for not running since it didn't seem like anything. Ha ha runner's guilt, what a burden. But, it was during this run the...unpleasantness...occurred. So I was a little over 1 mile into the run, and my nose was runny (nothing new). Well, I know this protocol, I simply pull back the thumb and forefinger portions of my gloves (because my awesome running gloves have that capability, so you can understand why I was so upset when I thought I lost one), place these fingers on either side of my nose, blow, and pinch off the stream, or as we in the industry like to call "The Snot Rocket." So for me, this is nothing new, as I use this practice at least 3 times during each run (I'm just full of snot). But this day, this day was different; the wind was angry that day my friends. I was about halfway into blowing when I realized the breeze had shifted and taken a turn toward...me. By the time I realized my shifted stance could do no protecting for my person, it was too late. The snot landed on my shoe. Not only on my shoe, but in...IN the laces!! I freaked out and tried stepping in snow to "wash" away what had just happened, but it was too late. I'm still just trying to forget about what happened. I mean, I'm due for some new shoes soon[ish].

I got some Gatoraide, stocked up on veggies, and am ready to see where this whole training thing takes me (besides over squished squirrels and under my own snot).

1 comment:

  1. I refuse to snot rocket because of my fear of this unpleasant situation. I'm glad to see my fear is justified, but sorry that it had to happen to you.

    ReplyDelete